I don’t know about you all, but my hair drives me crazy! I’ve managed to grow it pretty long, but it won’t grow past where it’s at now. It’s too dry, I have too many split ends. It’s too thin, I wish it were a little thicker. I wish there was something I could do to make it look healthier and fuller!
Luckily, there IS something you can do…
Lately I’ve become obsessed with DIY hair masks. Sure, I could try some professional products from the salon… But those are so expensive, and who knows what’s in it? So I prefer the cheap, natural way. You probably already have most of these ingredients in your kitchen. Who knew that they can do wonders for your hair???
Here are some good,easy recipes for hair masks that will help moisturize and thicken your hair:
- Castor oil: Castor oil is packed with vitamin E and other nutrients that will help with hair loss and stimulate growth. It’s also super moisturizing, so it’ll help with dryness and split ends. Since the oil is so greasy, it’s a good idea to dilute it by adding some water. You can either massage it into your scalp and leave on overnight once a week, or add a few drops to your conditioner and use a little everyday!
- Vinegar rinse: Vinegar will make your hair shinier, stronger, and less prone to breakage. It’s also really good for removing gross product build up. You can use any kind of vinegar… apple cider is the least smelly, but you could also use white or wine-based vinegars. Mix one part vinegar to two parts water, and use as a final rinse after you rinse out your shampoo and conditioner.
- Egg yolk and olive oil: This mixture contains tons of vitamins A, D, and E. All the protein and healthy fats will prevent hair loss, and thicken, soften, and strengthen your hair. Mix two egg yolks with two tablespoons of olive oil, then dilute the mixture with half a cup of water. Let it sit in your hair for 15-20 minutes, then rinse out, whether you shampoo it out or just rinse with water.
- Banana: Bananas are a really rich source of potassium and vitamins A, E, and C. Just mash one banana into a paste, apply it to your hair, and cover it with a plastic cap. To lock in the nutrients, you can take the cap off after about 20 min and blow dry. Then shampoo, condition and rinse it out.
- Coconut oil and avocado: This combo adds luster to dry hair, and gets rid of flaking and dandruff. Heat about one tablespoon of coconut oil (on the stove, NOT the microwave… that’ll get rid of all the nutrients!), then put it in your hair from your roots to tips. Mash an avocado and smooth it over your hair, too. Let it set for 10-15 minutes then rinse.
- Almond oil: Healthy fatty acids = soft and strong hair! Massage one tablespoon into your scalp and then rinse out.
- Egg, yogurt and mayo: This yummy (or…smelly) mixture promotes thickness, and is a good treatment for dry or damaged hair. You’ll need one egg, a quarter cup of plain yogurt, and a quarter cup of mayo. Beat the yoke first, then add the yogurt and mayo. Put a shower cap on, leave it for an hour then rinse.
- Coconut oil and lemon juice: This will get rid of dandruff and lighten your hair color. You need one part lemon juice and two parts oil. Massage into your scalp, and leave in overnight.
For the record… coconut oil is also amazing by itself, too. The extra ingredients just make it even better.
You can use one of these hair masks about once a week… if you do them more often than that, your hair would probably get too greasy. Although you can totally switch them up from time to time, I would try to stay kind of consistent with which ones you use. For instance, instead of doing the banana one week, then almond oil the next week, then the coconut oil and lemon the next week… maybe do the banana for a few weeks in a row, then try the almond oil for a few weeks in a row. That way your hair will really get tons of the same nutrients, and you should start seeing the difference.
I’ve already tried a couple of these, and I can honestly already see the difference in my hair. It feels smoother, softer, HEALTHIER… it’s not as ratty and dry looking. So, give it a shot… start taking care of your hair!!