Love means different things to different people.
As a teenager starting to date you will hear lots of advice from peers, family, teachers and social media. Each brings a unique source of advice.
Throughout my life I too have received advice from all the above and in my opinion there are 7 universal qualities that are needed to have a long lasting loving relationship.
- Trust- Accepting another’s word and giving each other the benefit of doubt
- Accountability- Admit your mistakes and take responsibility for one’s behavior, attitudes and beliefs.
- Cooperation- Make decisions together, accept if a change occurs and a win-win solution to problems.
- Support- Support each other’s choices, be understanding, offer encouragement, listen to one another non-judgmentally and value each other’s opinions.
- Honesty- Communicate openly and truthfully.
- Safety- Respecting one’s physical space and expressing oneself non- violently.
- Respect- Respect your partner’s choices, values and beliefs.